CMU celebrates 50 years of geology

screenshot-2022-10-05-163653
A promotion for the 50th anniversary of Central Michigan University's Geology program.

During Homecoming weekend, Central Michigan University’s Department of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences (EAS) is celebrating 50 years of geology at CMU. 

All EAS alumni and friends are all welcome to attend a day of activities for the "BIFtieth" anniversary on Friday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. The "BIF" part of the event name comes from a play on words for fiftieth. The letters stand for "banded iron formation."

All events are open to the public unless indicated otherwise. 

Friday Oct. 7

Coffee and Doughnut Meet and Greet

Students, faculty and geology alumni are welcome to engage in conversation as they enjoy coffee and doughnuts. 

9 to 10 a.m. 

Brooks Hall, third Floor 

Geology Open House and Displays

Tour the department and view geology photos from the five decades at CMU as well as geological displays. The American Institute of Professional Geologists CMU chapter will have rocks, minerals, t-shirts, handmade jewelry and water bottles for sale.  

10 a.m. to 12 p.m. 

Brooks Hall, Third Floor 

50th Anniversary Ceremony with Special Guests

The EAS Department will reminisce on their last 50 years as they look forward to many more with speeches from current students, distinguished geology alumni, and special guests from the university. To those who cannot make it, the ceremony will be livestreamed on the College of Science and Engineering’s Facebook Page.

2 to 3 p.m. 

Biosciences Building 1010 

Time Capsule Ceremony

To honor the anniversary, the EAS Department will collect tokens of the present to be preserved for the 100th year of the department. 

3 to 3:15 p.m. 

Biosciences Building 1010 

Geology BBQ at Island Park 

Join the EAS Department in an evening of socializing with geology alumni, faculty and students at Mount Pleasant Island Park. Dinner will be served, including a buffet of entrees, sides and local hand-crafted beer, all provided by Summit Smokehouse.

Tickets must have been purchased by Sept. 23 to attend the BBQ. Those who purchased tickets can pick them up at Brooks Hall or Island Park on Oct. 7. 

5 to 8 p.m.

Island Park, West Pavilion

Geology BIFtieth Anniversary Shirts

AIPG will be selling long sleeve t-shirts to celebrate the milestone. Order online using their order form. Shirts can be mailed or picked up in Brooks Hall the day of the celebration.