Fire damages two houses in Mount Pleasant Nov. 1

fire-story-11022022

One of the houses that were on fire on 1006 Bruce Street Nov. 1. 

On Nov. 1 a fire emerged in two residential houses at 1006 Bruce Street. Both houses were damaged. Nobody was injured. 

According to the Mount Pleasant Fire Department's (MPFD) press release, the fire broke out at around 10 p.m., and it took firefighters till 1:30 a.m. to bring it under control. 

The cause of the fire is being investigated, the press release said. 

MPFD worked together with the Mt. Pleasant Police Department, Saginaw Chippewas Tribal Fire Department, Shepherd Tri Township Fire Department, Deerfield Township Fire Department, Mobile Medical Response and Isabella County Central Dispatch. 

A neighbor and a witness of the fire, Karla Faber, said she called 911 when she heard her neighbor, a residence of one of the burnt houses, yelling. 

Reeva Ripley, a neighbor from up the street, said she didn’t come down, but she saw the fire, fire engines and first responders. 

The Maclennan family, neighbors from across the street, said they didn’t know the person who lived in the house that was caught on fire. They said he was renting. 

Another house that was damaged by the fire was empty. Ms. Maclennan said the family moved out from it a month ago.

“It was definitely crazy,” Ms. Maclennan said. “Telephone wire was sparking because it caught off the wire on fire. So that was intense.” 

Ms. Maclennan said she saw around three to four fire trucks arrive at 10 p.m., shortly after she also heard the neighbor yelling, and saw the fire emerge. 

She said there was also a cat in the house.