CMU: No one hurt after two minor residence hall fires

d_firealarm_photo_11-23-22_1

A fire alarm in one of CMU's residential halls, Wednesday, Nov. 23. 

EDITOR'S NOTE: This story will be updated as more information becomes available. 

On Tuesday morning, two fires were reported in Woldt and Merrill Halls, according to an email from Central Michigan University Communications.  

"In both cases, residents were safely evacuated immediately and there were no reported injuries," the email said, which was sent later in the day.  

CMU staff and public safety officers responded to the fires, which "appear to have been caused by electric and/or battery-operated transportation devices." 

Aaron Mills, director of University Communications, said there are still no reported injuries and the cause of each fire is currently under investigation. 

In Woldt Hall, there was minor fire damage to one dorm room floor, Mills said. The four students who lived where the fire took place have been moved to a different room down the hall, he said. 

In Merrill Hall, there was no damage to the room where the other fire happened, Mills said, so none of the students had to be relocated. 

Following the incident report, CMU is reviewing its policy about electric devices such as powered scooters and skateboards, the email said. Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to take home or unplug such devices during Thanksgiving Break, including microwaves or coffee makers.