Eight CMU football players earn All-MAC honors

d-football-bgsu-photo-10-22-2022-3
Freshman running back Jake Tafelski celebrates with his teammates after scoring a touchdown Saturday, Oct. 22, in Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

On Wednesday the Mid-American Conference announced that eight Central Michigan football players earned All MAC honors for the 2022 season.  

Senior defensive lineman Thomas Incoom and sophomore defensive back Donte Kent were named to the All-MAC First Team. 

Incoom has been a key component for the CMU defense as he finished the year ranked No. 4 in the nation and No. 2 in the MAC with 11.5 sacks. He is ranked No. 7 in the nation and No. 2 in the MAC in tackles for loss with 19. 

Incoom is fourth on the team in tackles with 57. This season Incoom recovered two fumbles, including forcing a game-winning fumble at Northern Illinois. In his two years as a Chippewa, Incoom racked up a total of 87 tackles, 27 tackles for loss and 15.5 sacks. 

As the season wrapped up, Kent ranked No. 9 nationally and No. 2 in the MAC in passes defended with 15. From the cornerback position, Kent had 51 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, and one sack. 

Earning Second Team honors was senior offensive lineman Jamezz Kimbrough. As the center of the offensive line, he started in all 12 games this season. He concluded his time at CMU starting 42 of his 43 career games. He served as a team captain in 10 games this season. 

Junior offensive lineman Deiyantei Powell-Woods and junior tight end Joel Wilson were named to the All-MAC offensive Third Team. 

Powell-Woods started all 12 games at offensive guard this season. He also served as a team captain in five games. 

For the first time in his career, Wilson earned All-MAC honors. Before his season ending injury at NIU, Wilson led the Chippewas with six touchdowns and 44.9 receiving yards per game. He ranked second on the team in scoring with 38 points and 44 receptions. In nine games, he was ranked No. 2 nationally among tight ends in receptions and receiving yards. In his time at CMU, Wilson had a total of 82 career receptions for 874 yards and 12 touchdowns. 

Sophomore linebacker Kyle Moretti and sophomore punter Luke Elzinga were named to the defensive All-MAC Third Team. 

In his breakout season, Moretti was trouble for the opponent's offense all season. He ranks No. 27 nationally in solo tackles and No. 5 in the MAC. He led the Chippewas with 94 total tackles (60 solo) and ranks third on the team in tackles for loss with 7.5 for 39 yards. He led the Chippewas in tackles in eight games and had a career high of 13 tackles against Buffalo.

For the third consecutive season, Elzinga has earned All-MAC honors for his position at the end of the field. He ranked No. 3 in the MAC in punting with a 42.2 average per punt. He had a season-long punt of 65 yards and placed 22 punts inside the 20-yard line and had no punts blocked. 

Redshirt freshman De’Javion Stepney was named to the specialist All-MAC Third Team. 

Stepney showed his versatility this season not only starting in 10 games at safety, but also returning kicks on special teams and filling in as running back when injuries struck the offense. Stepney ended the season with 40 tackles, had eight pass breakups and one tackle for loss. He returned eight kicks for a total of 214 yards with a long of 60 yards on special teams and rushed 11 times for five yards and a touchdown.