Daniel Richardson enters transfer portal

6e083f3f-12e1-4216-9620-619948a24d90
Miami sophomore Daniel Richardson fires a pass downfield against Ball State, Saturday, Oct. 8, at Kelly/Shorts stadium.

Central Michigan sophomore quarterback Daniel Richardson has entered the transfer portal as a graduate transfer, he announced Tuesday on social media.

The Miami native played parts of four seasons for the Chippewas. He used a redshirt year in 2019 and was part of the 2020 team where each member was granted an extra year of eligibility, leaving him with two years of eligibility. 

A three-star recruit out of Booker T. Washington High School, Richardson ended his high school career as the all-time passing yards leader in Miami Dade County. He was recruited by head coach Jim McElwain, who was familiar with Richardson from his days as the head coach at Florida.  

Richardson leaves the Chippewas with his name in the record books. Currently, he ranks fourth all-time in career touchdown passes (43), eighth in completions (434), seventh in passing yards (5,336) and eighth in total yardage (5,232). 

In his career, he started 23 games and has thrown 43 touchdowns against 13 interceptions. 

Richardson first started for the Chippewas during the 2020 season and went on to have a breakout year in 2021. He served as CMU’s starter for the first 10 games of the 2022 season, but redshirt freshman Jase Bauer and freshman Bert Emanuel Jr. emerged a part of a QB rotation taking Richardsons starting spot. 

The 2022 season had a promising beginning, as Richardson threw for 424 yards and four touchdowns in a 58-44 loss to Oklahoma State. He was named Mid-American Conference West Division Player of the Week.

Richardson entered the 2021 season as the backup to Washington transfer Jacob Sirmon but earned the starting job by leading a three-score fourth quarter comeback against Florida International in Week 4. 

He remained the team’s starter for the rest of the season and ended the year with five straight wins, including a 24-21 win over Washington State in the Sun Bowl. 

He served as the team’s starter for the first four games of the 2020 six-game season but suffered an injury in Week 4 missing the final two games. 

He debuted in 2019, playing three games for the Chippewas. He attempted only three passes, completing one for one yard a New Mexico Bowl loss to San Diego State.   

With Richardson in the portal, the Chippewas will likely look to Emanuel and Bauer as replacements. Emanuel played in the season's final four games totaling 496 rushing yards and seven touchdowns. 

Bauer, meanwhile, saw action in six games and made his first career start in the final game of the season against Eastern Michigan. He was 35-of-59 passing for 435 yards, one touchdown and five interceptions on the season.