CMU football defensive line coach heads to NFL

Ian Scott, a Central Michigan football defensive line coach is making his way back to the NFL. Joining the Carolina Panthers, Scott will be a part of the defensive coaching staff.   

The Panthers' interim head coach, Steve Wilks announced Scott as the newest member of their defensive staff on Monday. 

This year, Scott was a part of mentoring a key part of the Chippewas defense. Senior defensive end Thomas Incoom ranks third nationally in sacks with 11.5 and ranks fifth in tackles for loss with 18.5. Incoom ranks fourth on the team in tackles and leads the team in tackles for loss.

Scott led the way for the defensive front finishing third in the Mid-American Conference and ranked fourth in the nation with 43 sacks last year as the Chippewas finished the 2021 season 9-4 and a win in the Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl. 

Before joining head coach Jim McElwain's staff at CMU in 2021, he served as a defensive line graduate assistant under McElwain at Florida in 2017. He then joined the defensive staff at Central Florida from 2018-20. 

Scott played in the NFL with the Chicago Bears, Philadelphia Eagles, Carolina Panthers and San Diego Chargers from 2003-09. He was a part of the 2006 Chicago Bear Super Bowl Champions.

In college, Scott played three years as a defensive lineman at Florida. He earned All-Southeastern Conference Second Team honors twice and helped the Gators to the 2000 SEC championship.