CMU Board of Trustees to vote on CAM department merger

The change would place journalism, broadcast and cinematic arts and communication in one department

d-botroom-art-092222
The CMU Board of Trustees meets for its formal session on Sept. 22, 2022 in the Bovee University Center's Lake Superior room.

The Central Michigan University Board of Trustees will hold several committee meetings and a formal session this week on Dec. 7 and Dec. 8. 

Committee meetings will be from 12:30 to 6 p.m. on Dec. 7 and the Dec. 8 formal session will start at 11:30 a.m. All meetings will be in the President's Conference Room in the Bovee University Center with an option to watch virtually.  

The meetings are open to the university community and the general public. There is seating for up to 25 people to attend. Some seating is reserved, but the rest is first-come, first-served.  

At the Nov. 15 Academic Senate meeting, Jefferson Campbell, dean of the College of the Arts and Media (CAM), announced plans to merge several departments in his college, including the journalism, broadcast and cinematic arts and communication programs.  

Campbell said the changes were approved by CAM. The provost and deans were given a two-week period to object to the change, according to CMU policy. The board of trustees will vote on whether to approve the changes during its formal session.   

Dec. 7 committee meetings

These committees will meet during the Dec. 7 sessions: 

• Health Care Special Committee: 12:30 to 1 p.m. 
  • Academic and Student Affairs Committee: 1:15 to 2:45 p.m. 
  • Finance and Facilities Committee: 3 to 3:30 p.m. 
  • Trustees-Faculty Liaison Committee: 3:45 to 4:45 p.m.
  • Trustees-Student Liaison Committee: 5 to 6 p.m. 

The Health Care Special Committee will hear a report and recommendations about health care needs in the region. 

During the Academic and Student Affairs Committee meeting, Ling Zhang, director of graduate and international recruitment, and Jennifer DeHaemers, the vice president of student recruitment and retention, will also give reports on international students, including recruitment strategies and how international students benefit the campus.

The Finance and Facilities Committee will discuss deferred maintenance projects and CMU's investments. 

Wiline Pangle, a faculty member in the Department of Biology, will give a presentation about the Integration of Science, Technology and Engineering (InSciTE) Program during the Trustees-Faculty Liaison Committee. According to the board agenda, InSciTE, if approved, would create a new certificate. The program would teach students skills that employers look for in resumes. 

The Trustees-Student Liaison Committee will hear reports from Student Affairs, the Residence Housing Association, Program Board and the Student Government Association. SGA Vice President Natalie Brant will give a project presentation about feminine hygiene products.

Dec. 8 formal session  

During the formal session, each committee will give a report about its meetings to the board. President Bob Davies will also give a report. Beth Timmerman, the director of Internal Audit, will give a presentation about the CMU Ethics Hotline.  

To address the board during the Dec. 8 meeting, a request must be sent 24 hours before the session starts. Hard-copy requests will be accepted in person until the start of the meeting. 

Public comments will be delivered in the order they were received by the board secretary. The policy governing public comment is included in Article IX on page 13 of the board of trustees bylaws.