Cat-astrophic need for volunteers at Karma Kat Cafe

karmakat-1-25-8

Cats sit together on a wall Monday, Jan. 24 at Karma Kat Cafe. 

Karma Kat Cafe, a cat shelter in Mount Pleasant, is approaching 1,000 cat adoptions and is in desperate need of volunteers. 

“We are shouting for your help,” Karma Kat Cafe Facebook page said. On Jan. 11, Karma Kat Cafe wrote that they had no people signed up to volunteer for two days straight, along with the following days that week. 

Sean Roberts, a Karma Kat Cafe employee, said the lack of volunteers was due to winter break. A lot of Karma Kat Cafe’s volunteers are Central Michigan University students, and the majority of those student volunteers went home for the winter holidays.

Now, the desperate volunteer situation is a little better, Roberts said. As of Jan. 17, four volunteers came to help — which means all volunteer spots were occupied. Roberts said every day this week there are two to four people that have signed up to help.

“It’s good experience,” Roberts said. “Some people, even minors, can (volunteer) for school (and) volunteer hours — (it is) great for people who do community work.” 

Roberts said those who volunteer can spend time with the cats for free.

Karma Kat Cafe needs volunteers every day to be able to prepare for opening, Roberts said. According to the Karma Kat Cafe Facebook page, volunteer work includes:

· sweeping;

· mopping;

· scooping litter boxes;

· cleaning quarantine cages;

· wiping down surfaces;

· filling and cleaning water and food dishes and other tasks. 

Volunteer times 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Sunday. Volunteers can sign up at Karma Kat Cafe‘s website as well as just walk in. People under 18 years old must have a waiver signed.