CMU wrestling secures third straight win at Duke

d-wrestlingvsniu-photo-1-13-23-13
Lapeer junior Sean Spidle wrestles during a match against Northern Illinois University Friday, Jan. 13 in McGuirk Arena. Spidle was 4-7 going into the match.

After holding Duke University scoreless until the final match, Central Michigan wrestling extended its win streak to three with a 34-3 win over the Blue Devils on Thursday. 

The Chippewas move to 3-5 on the season and 1-2 in Mid-American Conference play. 

“We've had some tough competition and our guys are learning how to relax and wrestle hard but also wrestle smart,” said head coach Tom Borrelli. “We think we're improving and as long as our guys feel that way and are gaining confidence that's a good thing.” 

To start the meet, junior Sean Spidle gave CMU a 4-0 lead following an 8-0 match victory in the 125-weight class. 

After Duke forfeited the 133-weight class to give the Chippewas a 7-0 lead, freshman Jimmy Nugent continued the momentum for CMU with a 7-3 victory to bring the lead to 13-0.

The onslaught did not stop there as redshirt junior Johnny Lovett won in a one-point match, 6-5, followed by a pin from redshirt senior Corbyn Munson against Duke junior Preston Decker. With the win, Munson has now pinned his opponents in three of his last five matches and increased his win streak to six. 

Redshirt senior Tracy Hubbard scored a major decision victory to put the Chippewas up 10-2. Redshirt junior Alex Cramer continued the momentum on the mats as Cramer posted an 8-2 victory in the 174-weight class.

In the 182-weight class, redshirt senior Ben Cushman secured a victory with a late third-period takedown followed by junior Cameron Wood winning 3-1 in overtime to keep Duke scoreless. 

In the last matchup, CMU freshman Bryan Caves dropped his match 5-0 against Dukes' senior Jonah Niesenbaum to put the Blue Devils on the board and end the meet 35-4. 

“Caves is a redshirt-freshman so it's really important that he gets the experience against that caliber of a wrestler,” Borrelli said. 

CMU will battle in the Chippewa Challenge at 11 a.m. on Sunday in a triple header, as it faces off against California State University at Bakersfield, American University and Campbell University in Buies Creek, North Carolina.