CMU soccer aims to break streak, heading into Thursday match

d-soccerballstate-photo-10-27-22-11

(From left) Senior midfielder Maggie Basse, freshman midfielder Lauren Walker, and sophomore midfielder Ashley Scesniak stand on the field before the half starts during CMU's game against Ball State Thursday, Oct. 27 in the Multipurpose Complex.

Central Michigan soccer looks to get itself in the win column on Thursday against Cincinnatti, following two draws to open the season.  

On Sunday, the Chippewas remained scoreless after ending its home opener match against Wright State in a 0-0 draw.

After finishing 3-3 against Detroit Mercy last week in the season opener, the Chippewas now hold a 0-0-2 record as they kick off the 2023 season.

The Chippewas maintained possession for most of the game with a total of 24 shots taken, with seven being on goal. 

“I thought the first 20 (minutes) and then I thought the second half we dominated the proceedings, but we just didn’t score,” head coach Jeremy Groves said. “I'm happy with our performance over the last three halves.”

Throughout the game, CMU dominated in possession while keeping the ball in WSU territory. As the game winded down, both teams desperately looked for an opportunity to score.

“(We have to) continue to get the plays in front of the goal,” Groves said. “I think for our strikers, they are maybe lacking a bit of confidence. But I think if they find the net, it will be more momentum for them in terms of scoring goals.”

With injuries setting back the Chippewas last season, they look forward to having a more successful season this year as the team kicks off Mid-American Conference play at 7 p.m. on Sept. 21 against Eastern Michigan.

“Although the strikers didn’t score goals, I think their performance was pretty good,” Groves said. “They have to learn how to win again, and that will come.”

The Chippewas will travel to Ohio to take on the Cincinnati Bearcats Thursday at 6 p.m.