CMU soccer faces first loss of season at Louisville

d-soccerballstate-photo-10-27-22-10

Junior forward Elizabeth Chlystun looks for the ball during CMU's game against Ball State Thursday, Oct. 27 in the Multipurpose Complex.

Over the weekend, the Chippewas traveled to Louisville to take on the Cardinals in the fourth game of the season. After three consecutive ties, the Chippewas now remain 0-1-3 as they make their way back to Mount Pleasant for their second home game of the season on Sunday.

CMU opened the game up in the ’2 with a shot by Jenna Little, who scored her first goal for the Chippewas against Cincinnati. Although an early chance to score, the Cardinals were able to find the back of the net in the ’14.

Allison LaPoint, the redshirt junior goalkeeper, once again defended the Chippewas goal from multiple shots taken from the Cardinals, conceding one in the first half and two in the second. LaPoint suffered a season-ending injury last year and is now getting her footing back on the field for this season.

“Allison has been quality for us thus far this season," head coach Jeremy Groves said. "I thought she was outstanding against Cincinnati on Thursday night. It’s great to have her back this season after missing all last year. She gives lots of confidence to our team.”

The Chippewas totaled five shots with one on goal while the Cardinals held possession most of the game, resulting in 20 shots with nine being on goal.

“We’ve set high standards for ourselves, and I didn’t think we reached those,” Groves said. “We had a couple of injury issues early against Louisville and found it a little hard to adjust. We looked tired right from the get-go.”

With the first Mid-American Conference game of the season approaching, the Chippewas continue a winless season as MAC play begins on September 21.

“I feel good as we get closer to MAC play. This team can win the league. We have good players who are capable of winning lots of games,” Groves said. “Our goals are the same. We want to compete to win a MAC Championship. Other than that, we take one game at a time.”

The Chippewas finish out their last non-conference game at home for senior day against Purdue-Fort Wayne at 1 p.m. on Sunday.