CMU quarterback intends to enter transfer portal

d-footballvsnorthernillinois-10-31-2023

Central Michigan redshirt sophomore quarterback Jase Bauer, right, and redshirt sophomore tight end Mitchel Collier, left, celebrate after Bauer’s touchdown during a game against Northern Illinois, Tuesday, Oct. 31 in Kelly/Shorts Stadium. A mix of snow and turf fell from Bauer’s helmet after junior offensive lineman Brayden Swartout tapped it. (Marie Underwood | CM-Life) 

After three seasons with Central Michigan football, quarterback Jase Bauer announced on Wednesday his intent to enter the transfer portal. 

The Chippewas ended their season 5-7 overall and 3-5 in the Mid-American Conference. 

Bauer got his first start of the season in a week three 41-17 loss against Notre Dame where he threw for 137 yards on 10 of 20 passing attempts.

Bauer earned the starting position after getting his second start of the season against Eastern Michigan where he led the Chippewas to a 26-23 win to start MAC play 1-0. The redshirt sophomore completed 19 of 26 passes for 218 yards and had one touchdown against the Eagles.  

This season, he threw for a total of 1,881 yards and completed 163 of 287 passing attempts. Bauer incorporated a lot of run game on his own as he rushed for 365 yards on 121 attempts while scoring 10 touchdowns. 

In 2022, the Chippewas implemented a three-quarterback rotation, a part of the rotation, Bauer saw action in six games earning one start. He rushed for 312 yards and had four touchdowns on 53 carries with a long of 60 yards on the season. He completed 35 of 59 passes for a total of 435 yards. He became the first quarterback since Tommy Lazzaro in 2018 to register back-to-back 100-yard rushing games vs Bowling Green and at Northern Illinois with 109 yards.  

The Ankeny, Iowa native redshirted his first year and did not see any play.