CMU women's basketball remains winless on the road in loss to Akron

Central Michigan women's basketball fell short against Mid-American Conference competitors, Akron 70-62 on Wednesday. 

After a powerful first half that sent CMU up by two into the third quarter, the team started to trickle behind with less than three minutes left in the game, leading to the loss.

CMU's losing streak moves to nine as it falls to 1-11 overall and 0-3 in MAC play.

Coming off their last loss against Buffalo, the Chippewas went on the road determined to bring back a win. According to head coach Kristin Haynie, this Chippewa team is not giving up on a chance to be winners.

"We put in more of a complete game tonight but still not good enough," Haynie said. "We struggled to score in the 4th quarter and I think some of it was being tired."

CMU only put up 12 points in the fourth quarter compared to Akron's 21. Additionally, three players saw the court for over 30 minutes, which caused fouling and sent Akron to the line three times in the final minutes of the game. 

Consistency has been a frequent word used when it comes to this team and their performance in fouling, turnovers and rebounding. 

"Tonight the rebounding got away from us," Haynie said. "We gave up 16 offensive rebounds which led them to 12 points. If we cut that in half and their points off of our turnovers then we would've won the game."

Even with the loss, junior guard Karrington Gordon continued her offensive production with a team-leading 19 points. 

CMU will travel to Ypsilanti on Saturday to take on the Eagles of Eastern Michigan at 1 p.m. in hopes of ending its nine game losing streak.

We have to come out with toughness," Haynie said. "The tougher team will win on Saturday so we need to bring the toughness and urgency on Saturday."