CMU baseball proves too much for MSU

d-baseball-vs-toledo-photo-4-5-24-9
Central Michigan senior catcher/infielder Nick Dardas watches the ball after hitting it during a game against Toledo, Friday, April 5, at Keilitz Field. (CM-Life | Jo Kenoshmeg)

With runners on second and third and no outs, back-to-back ground outs gave Central Michigan baseball a 2-0 lead in the first inning over in-state opponent Michigan State on Tuesday.

The Chippewas offense stayed hot throughout the remainder of the game, leading to a 10-0 win in seven innings, bringing them to 11-22 on the season.

CMU picked up runs in the third and fifth innings, extending its lead to 4-0, until a big sixth inning widened that gap when senior outfielder Marquis Jackson hit a solo shot to lead off the inning.

As the next two batters reached safely, senior first basemen Danny Wuestenfeld doubled, scoring two more runs making the score 7-0. The Chippewas added one more run in the inning with a sacrifice fly off the bat of senior third basemen Ely Stuart. 

CMU hit the double-digit run mark, thanks to a bases loaded walk and hit-by-pitch in the seventh that would make the score 10-0. The two run put pressure on the Spartans as MSU needed to score to extend the game.

The Chippewas pitching held the Spartan batters in check in the bottom of the seventh, ending the game as CMU defeated MSU.

Wuestenfeld led CMU offensively, going 2-4 at the plate with four RBI and a walk. Senior second basemen Nick Dardas also had a solid day at the plate getting two hits in three attempts, while scoring three runs.

On the mound for the Chippewas was senior right-handed pitcher Trey Miller who had his best outing of the year with five scoreless innings, giving out four hits and striking out two Spartan batters.

Graduate right-handed pitcher Bryce Hellgeth pitched the sixth, striking out two of the three batters he faced, while sophomore left-handed pitcher Evan Waters finished out the seventh giving up no runs.

The Chippewas will travel to Bowling Green to take on the Falcons in a three-game series starting on Friday at 3 p.m.