Forward Progress: Chippewas finish in four-way tie atop MAC West at 6-2, NIU wins tiebreaker to advance to MAC Championship

2015_1127_fbvseastern_mb51_copy
Warren senior Ben McCord talks to a teammate on the sidelines during the Chippewas' game against Eastern Michigan University on Nov. 27 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. Monica Bradburn | Assistant Photo Editor

In July, a trip to December’s Mid-American Conference Championship at Ford Field seemed like a fantasy for a Central Michigan football team that was picked to finish fifth in the MAC West.

After beating the eventual MAC champion Northern Illinois and falling to Western Michigan and Toledo by a combined seven points, the only thing keeping the Chippewas from heading to Detroit this Friday is a tiebreaker.

With four teams tied for first, the MAC tiebreaker to determine the champion is records among the four teams against each other. CMU and Toledo were each 1-2 against the other three teams in the tiebreaker while WMU and NIU were 2-1. Because NIU beat WMU Nov. 18, they earn the title.

“We wish we were playing in the MAC title game next week, that was our main goal,” said junior quarterback Cooper Rush. “But 6-2 in the MAC is nothing to laugh at. We didn’t accomplish all our goals, but this team this year played their butts off in every game.”

Yet, the Chippewas were in the conversation. In his first season as head coach, John Bonamego helped CMU overcome the hump of mediocrity, claiming the team’s best conference record since Butch Jones led CMU to a MAC Championship in 2009 (12-2, 8-0 MAC).

With a 7-5 record, the Chippewas will go to a bowl game. It will be determined Dec. 6 where they will be headed.

“Everybody doesn’t get to play in three bowl games out of their four-year career, so it’s just a blessing to go to a bowl game,” said senior defensive back Kavon Frazier. “There’s always some favorites that we have, like we want to go somewhere warm, but really anywhere we go is just a blessing.”

With at least three weeks to prepare for the final game, Bonamego said the team will use the extra practice time to get a jump on spring practice for the younger players. The starters, meanwhile, will have a chance to heal up from a season of bumps and bruises.

“We can just focus on one game,” said sophomore defensive back Josh Cox. “Everybody can get their bodies healthy and watch a lot of film.”

One thing the Chippewas will be happy with when watching their own film is the passing game. Rush passed for 391 yards and completed passes to 10 different receivers in CMU’s 35-28 come-from-behind victory over Eastern Michigan on Friday.

Between a strong passing game and stout defense — which was 0.5 yards per game shy of allowing the fewest yards per game in the MAC — the Chippewas were within a touchdown of every opponent in the fourth quarter this season. That includes national powerhouses Michigan State and Oklahoma State.

“We were in every game, should have won a few more,” Rush said. “We’re excited we’re going to a bowl and get another chance to play with these seniors and another chance to win.”

CMU was eliminated from MAC West contention after its 28-23 loss to Toledo on Nov. 10, but climbed back into a four-way tie with NIU, Toledo and Western Michigan after wins against Kent State and Eastern Michigan and losses from the top contenders.

Western Michigan’s 35-30 victory over Toledo on Friday kept the No. 24 Rockets from taking the title.

“It’s a little bittersweet because of the way it happened,” Bonamego said. “There’s another team (Western Michigan) that won today and we’re never really cheering for them to win.”

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →