Spartans rout Chippewas in non conference matchup

In its last non conference game of the regular season, the Central Michigan baseball team struggled to score and fell to Michigan State by a score of 7-0.

The Chippewas dropped to 28-24 on the season, but still sport a 15-6 Mid-American Conference record.

The Spartans won the first matchup between the two teams by a score of 11-2 on March 21.

In CMU's last conference game against Toledo, the Chippewas clinched a share of the MAC West title in dominating fashion scoring 15 runs and shutting out their opponent.

Scoring Summary

The Chippewas got off to a slow start while the Spartans scored three runs in the first inning, giving MSU an early lead.

The Spartans added runs in the fifth and sixth innings to extend the lead. 

The Spartans were led by designated hitter Chad Roskelly. Roskelly had two hits, three runs scored and two RBIs.

CMU only recorded six hits during today's game. This is the first time that CMU has been held scoreless this season. 

Pitching Summary

Senior right-hander Jordan Grosjean started todays game. Grosjean lasted three and two third innings until being replaced by Braxton Markle. Grosjean recorded two strikeouts and allowed three runs.

Markle pitched the last out of the fourth inning, allowing one hit and two runs.

Michael Brettell came on the mound in the fifth inning and pitched two full innings. Brettell allowed five hits and two runs before he was replaced by Cam Brown who also pitched two innings. 

Brady Williams and Zach Kohn finished the game for the Chippewas.

What's Next

The Chippewas end the regular season with a three-game conference series against Ball State in Theunissen Stadium. CMU only needs one win against Ball State to clinch the MAC West regular season title.

The first round of the 2017 MAC Tournament starts on May 24.