2020 RB Marion Lukes commits to Central Michigan football

lukes
Class of 2020 running back Marion Lukes visited Central Michigan Oct. 5 for the Chippewas' game against Eastern Michigan at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. (Marion Lukes / Twitter)

Marion Lukes carried the ball 209 times for 2,599 yards and 29 touchdowns as a junior in 2018 for Charlestown High School in Indiana.

To this point in the 2019 season, Lukes has 1,319 yards and 16 scores through seven games. He also has two interceptions, two pass breakups and two fumble recoveries. 

The 2020 running back visited Central Michigan and received a scholarship on Oct. 5. He committed to join the Chippewas one day later.

"My decision wasn't difficult at all," Lukes said. "The coaches made me feel like they wanted the best for me and that they truly cared about me as a person and football player, which is the way it's supposed to be."

Lukes is a 5-foot-10, 180-pound back that 247Sports Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong described as, "One of the Midwest's most prolific running backs."

Once the 2019 season is complete, Central Michigan senior running back Jonathan Ward will leave due to no longer having eligibility. Lukes said the departure of Ward will open up a role for him in the offense.

"The coaching staff and I think that I can play a big role as a freshman in the offense to help us win even more games," Lukes said.

He received a scholarship from Eastern Kentucky on June 28 and committed on July 18. Lukes decommitted from Eastern Kentucky at 9:38 a.m. Oct. 6 before making his pledge to CMU coach Jim McElwain later that day at 2 p.m.

"There were a lot of things said between me and coach McElwain," Lukes explained. "The best part was that it didn't seem like a business meeting. It felt more like, 'Welcome to the family.' He said he loves my game, and the way I play shows passion and heart.

"I plan on shutting my recruitment down. I love CMU and don’t want to ruin this opportunity that I have in front of me."

Safeties coach and special teams coordinator Ryan Beard is Lukes' primary recruiter.

"He's going to have my back," Lukes said of Beard. "I know he has the best intentions for me as a player and even more as a student."

Lukes is averaging over 12 yards per carry as a senior, and he did the same as a junior. He's the all-time leading rusher in Charlestown's program history.

He's ranked as the No. 29 all-purpose back in the country and No. 30 overall in the state of Indiana. 

"People are definitely sleeping, but I think this was the thing that's going to wake everyone up," Lukes said. 

Lukes is the 13th commit in CMU's 2020 class:

Germantown (Md.) Northwest 3-star ATH Aaron Beckwith
Jackson (Mich.) Lumen Christi 3-star OG Keegan Smith
Manitowoc (Wisc.) Lincoln 3-star TE Davis Heinzen
Parma (Mich.) Western 3-star QB Tyler Pape
Green Bay (Wisc.) Bay Port 3-star OG Braden Doyle
Irvington (N.J.) 3-star WR Zahir Swann
Honolulu (Hawaii) St. Louis 3-star LB Lawaia Brown
Pittsburgh (Pa.) North Hills 3-star OT Ronald Novosedliak
Arvada (Colo.) Pomona 3-star LB Kyle Moretti
Akron (Ohio) East 3-star WR Travon Walker
Bloomfield Hills (Mich.) WR Alec Ward
Columbus (Ind.) North TE Mitchel Collier
Charlestown (Ind.) RB Marion Lukes