Police arrest 2 men involved in Union Township armed robbery

26231303_2021088141510012_8575226315158025886_n
Isabella County Sheriff's Office

A 28-year-old Mount Pleasant man and 25-year-old Jackson man were arrested after an armed robbery involving a stolen gun in Union Township early Saturday morning, according to the county sheriff’s office. 

Deputies responded to the armed robbery at 1:27 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 16 on the 3000 block of East Deerfield Road in Union Township, according to a news release issued by the Isabella County Sheriff’s Office. 

Police were dispatched on the report of a 23-year-old Union Township man who stated he had just been robbed. When deputies arrived, they found the male victim extremely upset and bleeding from the mouth, the report said.

The man told police he had made plans with a friend earlier that night to smoke marijuana in the victim’s apartment. The man’s friend reportedly told him that a couple of his friends were going to come over as well. 

Two men reportedly arrived at the victim’s apartment first. The victim told police he recognized one of the men from a previous encounter, but he did not know the other man. 

One of the men then pulled out a semi-automatic handgun and pointed it at the male victim, and then put his fist in the victim’s mouth to keep him from screaming, causing the victim’s lip to bleed. One of the men told the victim that they were there to steal his marijuana and proceeded to steal items from the victim, including marijuana, marijuana pipes and personal items. The two men then left the apartment.

After the robbery, the victim told police he called his friend that had invited the men, who provided him with a name and phone number of one of the men. Through investigation, police determined that one of the suspects lived at an address on South Isabella Road in the city of Mount Pleasant. City police located a 2013 Dodge Caravan in the parking lot of the suspect’s apartment building. When deputies looked inside the vehicle, they discovered items that were stolen from the victim earlier.

Because of the nature of the incident and the involvement of a weapon, the Isabella County Multi-Jurisdictional Emergency Services Team was activated, the release said. The Isabella County Prosecutor’s Office also began to prepare a warrant for the suspect’s apartment building. 

However, before the emergency services team mobilized, one of the male suspects came out of the apartment and was detained by police, the release said. During a brief interview with police, the man confessed to the robbery but claimed he was forced to do it by the other suspect. The other male suspect, who was still in the apartment, was detained by police. 

During the execution of the search warrant, police found several of the stolen items as well as other narcotics. Police also located a Black 9 mm handgun, similar to the one described by the victim. When police checked the gun, they determined it was stolen out of Hillsdale County. 

The two male suspects, a 28-year-old Mount Pleasant man and 25-year-old Jackson man, were arrested and lodged in the Isabella County Sheriff’s Office. 

Sheriff’s deputies were assisted on the scene by Michigan State Police, Mount Pleasant Police Department, Mobile Medical Response, Isabella County Central Dispatch and the Isabella County Emergency Services Team.