Suspended QB David Moore's appeal denied by NCAA

fb-vs-miamifl-6-1913
David Moore throws a pass against Miami (FL) at Hard Rock Stadium in Cloral Gables, Florida (Courtesty photo/CMU Athletics)

David Moore's fight for a changed decision is over.

The Central Michigan quarterback will sit out until October 2020 after the NCAA denied his suspension appeal, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation. The hearing was March 18, and the NCAA did not sway in Moore's favor.

Moore tested positive for a banned substance Oct. 7 and immediately lost one year of eligibility. By appealing the suspension, he hoped to become eligible for the start of the 2020 season.

Instead, the 6-foot-2, 180-pound quarterback will miss five games – vs. San Jose State (Sept. 5), at Nebraska (Sept. 12), at Northwestern (Sept. 19), vs. Bryant (Sept. 26) and at Eastern Michigan (Oct. 3).

Moore is eligible to return for CMU's Oct. 10 road contest against Northern Illinois.

The suspension for a failed performance-enhancing drug test was publicly made known Oct. 8, three days after Moore threw for 279 yards and two touchdowns in a 42-16 win against EMU. He led the Chippewas to two wins in four games as the starter.

While CMU did not deny Moore's positive test, it cited the use of an over-the-counter nutritional supplement as the likely cause, which was confirmed by head coach Jim McElwain. Neither the university nor McElwain detailed the specific supplement.

Athletic director Michael Alford met with Moore and McElwain immediately after learning of the suspension. Alford announced the decision to appeal the NCAA's ruling.

“The university partners with the NCAA to ensure its student-athletes play by the rules and exhibit the highest level of conduct," Alford said. "Based on the university’s review of the available evidence, the university has decided to appeal this ruling.”

The appeals process lasted more than five months. The university officially submitted Moore's appeal to the NCAA on Nov. 22. His case was assigned in February. He is now a senior with one season of eligibility left.

Moore came to CMU from Garden City Community College, where he played in 2018 after transferring from Memphis, where he spent the 2016 and 2017 seasons.

The signal-caller completed 94 of 164 passes for 1,143 yards, five touchdowns and four interceptions as a junior in 2019.

Moore's two losses as a starter were against Miami (Florida), 17-12, and Western Michigan, 31-15. Both games were on the road. He helped defeat Akron, 45-24, and EMU, 42-16, at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.