City announces several cancellations due to coronavirus spread

stockbordenbuilding-2

The sun sets on City Hall in this 2019 file photo from downtown Mount Pleasant.

Several city events and safety steps are in place in response to the spread of the coronavirus.

The city of Mount Pleasant is taking precautions amid the coronavirus spread currently from Friday, March 13 until Sunday, April 5, according to an update on the city’s blog. This involves event cancellations and restrictions on city services.

Partners Empowering All Kids (PEAK), which does after school activities and Spring Break Day Camp, will be canceling all their activities until April 5. Any events that require city approval before that date will not be approved. The events canceled in Mount Pleasant are listed below:

• Citizens’ Academy – March 17 and March 24 class sessions.   
  • Master Plan Open House on CMU’s campus on March 25.
  • Census Events on CMU’s campus on March 26 and April 1.
  • Current Speed Camp sessions which run through March 26.
  • Soccer and T-ball Coaches Meetings on March 26.
  • Great Egg Scramble on April 4.
  • Teen Flashlight Egg Hunt on April 5.

However, the blog update did say that public meetings like City Commission, Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals meetings will take place as scheduled. However, the city is encouraging residents to watch the meetings at home to limit the number of people at the meeting. These meetings can be watched on Spectrum Charter Channel 188 or on the city’s YouTube page.

If a resident is sick and has a building inspection scheduled, the blog update said the resident should reschedule. The city will be reaching out to rental property owners to reschedule any inspections that would take place before April 5. Any payments to the city should be sent in by mail to City Hall, and building permits and employment applications are encouraged to be submitted electronically.

The city said it will continue to monitor the outbreak and is coordinating with the Central Michigan District Health Department, the state of Michigan and the Center for Disease Control & Prevention.