Volleyball falls to MAC East leaders Miami

dsc_0043_1

Junior outside hitter Taylor Robertson spikes the ball over the net Oct. 14, 2016 in McGuirk Arena. 

Winning its 14th straight match, Mid-American Conference East Division leaders Miami (OH) topped Central Michigan 3-0 Friday at McGuirk Arena.

The Chippewas (8-11, 2-5 MAC) fell 25-17, 25-17, 25-19 to take their second straight loss.

Head coach Mike Gawlik highlighted Miami's consistent style of play.

"When we're playing against a team that's as well-rounded and multidimensional as Miami," he said, "they exploit any given deficiency you have in any part of your game."

Stela Kukoc finished with 14 kills and a .462 hitting percentage to lead the RedHawks past the Chippewas.

Outside hitter Taylor Robertson finished with a .429 hitting percentage and 11 kills to lead CMU's attack. Jessica Meichtry had a .350 hitting percentage and added 10 kills.

"We really ebbed and flowed tonight," Robertson said. "We just need to find a constant pace and go from there really. That's where we'll find confidence."

The Chippewa's will play host to Bowling Green on Saturday at 7 p.m. The Falcons lead the MAC in hitting percentage (.259), assists (13.34), kills (14.19) and digs (16.82).

Despite Friday's loss, Gawlik said his team is moving in the right direction when it comes to confidence on the court. He told players after the match to work on "celebrating their greatness" when good plays happen and build on those moments.

"Something we talked about in the locker room is just bringing back our passion," Meichtry said. "When we have a great play, we want to embrace each other and just celebrate those and have fun on the court."

About McKenzie Sanderson

McKenzie Sanderson is the Sports Editor at Central Michigan Life. She is a senior at Central ...

View Posts by McKenzie Sanderson →