Soccer begins weekend at Toledo on Thursday, returns home Sunday

k6a9911

CMU Sophomore Madison Coster is defense during the game of CMU vs. Miami, on Sep 30, on CMU Soccer Lacrosse Complex.

After going 1-0-1 last weekend, the Central Michigan soccer team (10-1-1, 2-1-1 Mid-American Conference)  travels to Toledo on Thursday and returns home for a match against Bowling Green on Sunday.

Toledo Rockets

The Rockets (6-5-1, 1-2-1 MAC) are led on offense by senior forward Kiersten Johnson and junior midfielder Isa Echeverri. The duo have combined for eight goals this season. The rest of the team has the Rockets' other eight goals. CMU counters with sophomore forward Alexis Pelafas, who is tied for third in the country in total goals with 11. 

Sophomore goalkeeper Katie Wilson has helped the Rockets succeed early in the season. She has four shutouts in 11 starts (12 total games) with 14 goals allowed and 47 saves. CMU senior goalkeeper Kristen Knutson has six shutouts and won MAC Defensive Player of the Week for the third time this season this past week. 

CMU lost at home to Toledo 2-0 last season.

Bowling Green

The Falcons (7-5, 2-2 MAC) are also led by a double-headed monster on offense — junior forward Skylar Fleak and sophomore midfielder Erica Hubert. The two have 10 goals and one assist combined. The entire team has 15 goals and 12 assists. Hubert leads the team in shots with 51, while Fleak has only started in seven out of the Falcons' 12 games this season.

The Falcons have split time evenly between their two goalies — freshman Kathleen Duwve and senior Lauren Cadel. Duwve has played in one less game but has given up two more goals (8) and has one less shutout (2) than Cadel. However, Duwve has 34 saves compared to Cadel's 19.

CMU defeated Bowling Green 1-0 at home in overtime last season.

The Chippewas play Toledo at 4 p.m.Thursday and Bowling Green at 1 p.m. Sunday.