Broadcast Journalism Boot Camp to take place Feb. 1

Jan. 30 is the final date to register for the event

0f4a8599

Moore hall on Jan. 25 on the campus of Central Michigan University.

Central Michigan University students will have the opportunity to participate in a day of intensive journalism training Friday, Feb. 1.

The Broadcast Journalism Boot Camp is a new training event being offered on campus by WCMU Public Radio, in conjunction with the School of Broadcast and Cinematic Arts and the department of journalism. It will take place from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the journalism offices on the fourth floor of Moore Hall.

The deadline to register for the event is Jan. 30. For the application, contact Amy Robinson, WCMU Public Radio News Director, at robin2aj@cmich.edu. 

There will be 10 journalism and BCA students selected to take part in training sessions covering writing, delivery, interviewing and story development. 

"The key idea here is convergence," said Ed Simpson, journalism faculty. "We know that our students are going out and getting jobs at television stations. We know that newspapers are doing things like getting intensely into podcasting which includes a lot of broadcast skills. This program is designated to help students see the potential in some of these new fields that are popping up."

As an extra component, two students from the 10 selected will be invited to take part in a paid summer internship. These students will have the opportunity to produce stories for WCMU, The Petoskey News Review and The Traverse City Record Eagle over the summer, all while being based in Petoskey or Traverse City. Students will be responsible for housing and transportation.

The event is free by invitation only. Lunch will be provided.