English and Literature Department sets creative writing event, reading lineup

lrm-export-449047485361990-20190905-184139637

English language and literature faculty member Robert Fanning flips through poet Walt Whitman's "Leaves of Grass" Sept. 5 in his office in Anspach Hall.

The Central Michigan Department of English Language and Literature has a lineup of creative writing readings and events for fall 2019. 

Students and faculty will gather at sunrise to read poet Walt Whitman’s "Leaves of Grass" in its entirety at 7:23 a.m. Sept. 20 in Fabiano Botanical Garden. Following the marathon reading, there will be three readings in October and three readings in November. 

“Literature comes alive at these events,” English language and literature faculty member Robert Fanning said.  “We spend a lot of time reading literature of the past, which is vital. It is also important to hear poets and fiction writers of the moment.” 

The Wellspring Literary Series, which takes place Oct. 7 and Nov. 4 at ArtReach of Mid-Michigan, brings Michigan writers to Mount Pleasant. Fanning said the reading gives the “town and gown” an opportunity to come together. 

Faculty writers Jeffrey Bean and Darrin Doyle will read their work at 8 p.m. Nov. 14 in the Sarah and Daniel Opperman Auditorium in Charles V. Park Library. 

The full list of readings includes: 

• 7:23 a.m. Sept. 20 in Fabiano Botanical Garden: 12th annual Walt Whitman "Leaves of Grass" Marathon Reading 
  • 8 p.m. Oct. 3 in the Sarah and Daniel Opperman Auditorium: Meijer Visiting Writers Series: Robert Lopez and Sam Ligon 
  • 7 p.m. Oct. 7 at ArtReach: Wellspring Literary Series: Jen Ashburn and Jason Irwin 
  • 7 p.m. Oct. 14 in the Sarah and Daniel Opperman Auditorium: Clarke Historical Library Speaker Series: Tess Gallagher 
  • 7 p.m. Nov. 4 at ArtReach: Wellspring Literary Series: Michelle Peñaloza 
  •  8 p.m. Nov. 7 in the Sarah and Daniel Opperman Auditorium: Meijer Visiting Writers Series: Catherine Wing 
  • 8 p.m. Nov. 14 in the Sarah and Daniel Opperman Auditorium: Faculty Readings Series: Jeffrey Bean and Darrin Doyle