Crime Log: Police investigate on-campus drowning, game-day disorderly conduct

35969_29458_policept

The following incidents were among those handled by the Central Michigan University Police Department from Sept. 9-14.

Sept. 9

CMUPD investigated a harassment case at 8:43 p.m. in Kessler Hall involving a 19-year-old man. The man reported he received phone calls from an unknown number saying he was going to be shot. Police are still investigating the situation, but the caller remains unknown. Lt. Cameron Wassman said the call was determined to not be credible, and the victim has not received any more phone calls. 

Sept. 10

Police conducted a welfare check at 5:44 a.m. at 1201 S. Washington St., where they responded to a call of a partially dressed male subject. The man was screaming and trying to get into Wightman Hall, Wassman said. Police located a 43-year-old man near Preston Street wearing shorts and socks. The man was mumbling and not making much sense, Wassman said, and admitted to police to using alcohol and marijuana. The man was taken to McLaren Central Michigan hospital and no criminal charges were pressed.

An 18-year-old woman in Trout Hall reported receiving suspicious Snapchats that were sexually suggestive from an unknown person at 7:55 a.m. Police advised that the woman block the suspect on Snapchat.

Police are investigating a fraud case involving emails regarding a fraudulent internship. Although the case is still open, the case involves fraudulent checks sent as a result of the false internship, Wassman said.

Sept. 11

Police responded to a traffic violation at 8:46 a.m. at 1440 S. Washington St. near Library Drive. An officer observed a 20-year-old man speeding on a motorcycle, Wassman said. After stopping the man, officers learned the motorcyclist did not have registration. He was issued a misdemeanor citation and his motorcycle was towed. 

A 22-year-old male student was referred to the Office of Student Conduct for forging fraudulent parking passes. Police did not file criminal charges against the man.

Sept. 12

A 2-year-old boy was found in Kedawin Village Apartments, 301 W. Broomfield St. Police were dispatched to building 4 of the apartment complex at 10:34 p.m. after a Residence Hall Director in the area called police to report the child. After asking residents around the complex, police determined where the child belonged and returned the child to his 22-year-old mother after checking the apartment. The case was referred to the State of Michigan Child Protective Services program. 

Sept. 13

A 14-month-old girl drowned in a bathtub in Kedawin Village Apartments Friday evening. Police were dispatched on a report of a girl who was found underwater and not breathing at 8:50 p.m. in the apartment complex at 301 W. Broomfield St. CMUPD said there are no indications of foul play. The incident remains under investigation by CMU police.

Sept. 14

An 18-year-old male student was reported as being possibly suicidal to CMU police at 5:19 a.m. Officers made contact with the man, who said he had no intent to harm himself. Police referred the man to university counseling services.

A 24-year-old man was cited for disorderly conduct after police found him publicly urinating on a tree at 2:37 p.m. The incident occurred at Lot 63, 2450 E. Campus Dr.,  during the football tailgate. 

At 8:21 p.m., officers were dispatched to Lot 62 to respond to a disorderly person who was reportedly trying to start fights after the football game. Police said the 59-year-old man was unable to stand and was taken to McLaren Central Michigan. At the hospital, he continued to act disorderly, Wassman said, and was warned that he would be arrested if he continued to be loud. The man continued his behavior, and after he was cleared by doctors, he was arrested and taken to Isabella County Jail. 

Around midnight Saturday, a 27-year-old man reported damage to the windshield wiper of his car. He told police that he saw someone messing with his windshield wiper. The wiper was snapped off, Wassman said, and the damage was valued at $1.