Crime Log: Flint man dies of heart attack at Northern Illinois football game

9eaf6427-e1e0-4743-b722-6261ffe60d63

A police cruiser sits outside the Central Michigan University Police Department building on Oct. 28. (Melissa Frick | Senior Reporter)

The following incidents were among those handled by the Central Michigan University Police Department from Oct. 28 to Nov. 4.

Oct. 28

Police received the report of a missing bike at 10 a.m. that was later found outside Celani Hall. Officers identified the suspect who reportedly stole the bike as a 19-year-old man. The owner of the bike, an 18-year-old woman, did not wish to pursue criminal charges, and the case was turned over to the Office of Student Conduct.

The Office of Student Conduct is investigating a case of domestic violence that was reported at 10 p.m. from Troutman Hall. Because the incident is being handled by student conduct, police could not release any details regarding the case. 

Oct. 29

CMUPD investigated a property damage report that occurred at 11:30 p.m. on Oct. 28 at the CMU Intramural Sports field, 465 West Broomfield St. A 19-year-old man reportedly drove his car onto the field and got stuck. Lt. Cameron Wassman of CMUPD said the field was torn up during the incident. The man's vehicle was towed from the scene.

Police conducted a welfare check at University Meadows apartments, 4439 Sterling Way. University staff reported concern for a 26-year-old woman, who reportedly had medical issues previously. Police made contact with the women, who appeared to be OK. 

Investigators received a fraud report at 10:17 a.m. at the Bovee University Center that remains under investigation. 

Oct. 30

Police found graffiti on the south side of Pearce Hall while on patrol at 1 p.m. The blue spray paint damage is valued at $100. There is no video surveillance in that area of campus, Wassman said, and police do not have any suspects at this time. 

An 18-year-old man reported harassment to CMU police that has reportedly been ongoing since May 1. The man told police that an 18-year-old woman has been following him around, which made him uncomfortable. The woman did not make any threats but reportedly displayed odd behavior. Police have since followed up with the woman, Wassman said. 

Oct. 31

Police investigated a harassment complaint that occurred at 7 a.m. on Oct. 28 in Saxe Hall. An 18-year-old woman told police she had received harassing text messages. The texts, which were not threatening in nature, were sent to the woman and her ex-boyfriend. The complainant was advised to block the phone number and report anything else to CMUPD. An 18-year-old man and 19-year-old man are involved in the case as well, although Wassman could not provide further details as to how they were involved. 

Nov. 1

Officers found a $20 bill on the ground at 10:25 a.m. in front of the Bovee University Center and entered the money into lost and found. 

Police were called to Woldt Hall at 2:20 p.m. after hall staff found a vape cartridge containing THC oil in possession of a student. The case was forwarded to the Office of Student Conduct. No tickets were issued by CMUPD to the 18-year-old woman who possessed the cartridge. 

Nov. 2

A 63-year-old Flint man died from a heart attack after the Northern Illinois football game on Saturday. Police responded to the medical emergency at 3:15 p.m. at the University Park Office Complex, 2480 West Campus Dr., and performed CPR and AED on the man. The man was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

A man and a woman, both 18, were arrested during a traffic stop at 10:37 p.m. on Mission Street and Appian Way. Police observed a vehicle traveling without headlights and made contact with the driver, an 18-year-old woman, who was arrested for not having a valid license. The passenger of the vehicle, an 18-year-old man, was also arrested due to an outstanding warrant from CMUPD for leaving the scene of a crash. The man was also issued a first-offense Minor in Possession citation by CMUPD. Both individuals were taken to Isabella County Jail. 

Nov. 3

University staff reported property damage to bathrooms in the Margo Jonker softball stadium that occurred sometime between Oct. 27 and Nov. 3. Staff reported finding trash cans tipped over, rocks in the sink and damage to cleaning supplies valued at $10 in the men's and women's bathrooms. There were no signs of forced entry.

Police received the report of third-degree criminal sexual conduct that is believed to have occurred at 2 a.m. on Nov. 2. The victim, a juvenile female, reported that the incident occurred in parking lot 55, which is a south campus parking lot near the Public Broadcasting Center, 1845 E. Campus Dr. The suspect is an 18-year-old man. The case remains under investigation by CMUPD. 

An 18-year-old woman in Cobb Hall was arrested for assaulting her roommate, another 18-year-old woman. Police were called to the residence hall at 7:16 p.m. on the report of two women fighting. The victim reportedly received minor injuries to her finger in the assault. The offender was taken to Isabella County Jail. 

CMU police traveled to Kent County Jail in Grand Rapids at 9 a.m. to pick up a 26-year-old man who was arrested on a warrant for a probation violation. The man was taken to Isabella County Jail. 

Nov. 4

A 24-year-old woman was issued a citation for driving without insurance during a traffic stop at 7:44 a.m. at Preston Street and Highland Street. The woman's vehicle was towed from the scene.