NCAA sets hearing date for suspended Central Michigan QB David Moore's appeal

lrm-export-680812421014059-20191008-160127194

Central Michigan quarterback David Moore prepares to face Western Michigan Sept. 28 at Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo.

David Moore's suspension saga will soon come to a close.

The NCAA has set a hearing for March 18 regarding Moore's appeal of his suspension after the Central Michigan quarterback tested positive for a banned substance, according to a source close to the situation.

A decision is expected promptly afterward.

After leading the Chippewas to two wins in four games as the starter in 2019, Moore tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug and, on Oct. 8, was suspended.

While Central Michigan did not deny Moore's positive test, it cited the use of an over-the-counter nutritional supplement as the likely cause. Football coach Jim McElwain confirmed the substance was something anyone could purchase without a prescription at the store.

"One of the things that is stressed in all those meetings is that before you do anything, you want to check whatever is in it with the trainers," McElwain said Oct. 9 to Central Michigan Life. "In this case, it's an innocent mistake. You just feel bad.”

The university, which found out about Moore's positive test Oct. 7, did not detail the specific supplement the quarterback used.

Athletic director Michael Alford met with Moore and McElwain. He announced the decision to appeal the NCAA's ruling.

“The university partners with the NCAA to ensure its student-athletes play by the rules and exhibit the highest level of conduct," Alford said. "Based on the university’s review of the available evidence, the university has decided to appeal this ruling.”

If the NCAA does not overrule Moore's suspension, he will lose a full-year of eligibility and be withheld from competition for 365 days from the date of the test, meaning the quarterback would be forced to sit out until Oct. 7, 2020. He would miss the first five games of the 2020 season and return for the Oct. 10 contest against Northern Illinois.

However, if the NCAA overturns Moore's suspension, he will be active to play Week 1 for the Chippewas in a Sept. 5 clash against San Jose State at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

The university officially submitted Moore's appeal to the NCAA on Nov. 22. His case was assigned in February. He is now a senior with one season of eligibility left.

David Moore (Photo: CMU Athletics)

McElwain said Moore is preparing in spring practice as if he will be the starter for the entirety of the upcoming season.

Offensive coordinator Charlie Frye added that Moore handled the situation of his suspension "like a pro." He was allowed to remain with the team for practices.

"He went down to scout team and didn't make it about him," Frye said. "He gave the defense some good looks."

Former starting center Steve Eipper, a senior in 2019, called Moore's suspension a "terrible situation" that the quarterback "got caught up in."

"We are going to stand behind David no matter what," Eipper said Oct. 9 to CM Life

Moore came to Central Michigan from Garden City Community College, where he played in 2018 after transferring from Memphis, where he spent the 2016 and 2017 seasons.

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound signal caller completed 94 of 164 passes for 1,143 yards, five touchdowns and four interceptions as a junior in 2019.

"He was doing some really good stuff in the opportunities he had to play," Frye said. "I'm really proud of who David has become. Some of the throws he made showed his toughness."

Even athletic director Michael Alford recognized the skillset Moore brought to the team, saying, "David Moore had a great year when he was able to play for us."

Moore's two losses as a starter were against Miami (Florida), 17-12, and Western Michigan, 31-15. Both games were on the road.