Michigan confirms two coronavirus cases in Wayne, Oakland County

screen-shot-2020-03-10-at-11-27-24-pm

Michigan has confirmed two cases of COVID-19, or coronavirus, in the metro Detroit area, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer announced at a news conference around 10:45 p.m. Tuesday. 

There is one case in Wayne County and another in Oakland County. The Wayne County patient had a history of domestic travel, while the Oakland County patient had a history of international travel, Michigan officials announced. 

"It's crucial that Michiganders continue to take preventative measures," Whitmer said. The governor declared a state of emergency in Michigan to help assist local governments with preventative measures, she said. 

Central Michigan Life has requested enrollment data for both of these counties from University Communications. These two cases were confirmed over spring break, a time when many students travel home to spend time with their families. 

Central Michigan University spring break study abroad trips were canceled and students abroad in Italy and China were ordered to leave. Of the 153 students who planned on studying abroad during the Spring 2020 semester, only 59 students were still abroad as of March 6, according to Dianne Desalvo, director of the study abroad office.

Out of the 12 scheduled Alternative Spring Breaks, two were rerouted and four canceled due to caution surrounding the virus, Symantha Misale, assistant director of Alternative Breaks, said.

The study abroad office and Alternative Breaks group are continuing to monitor their students and the virus. 

The university has created a page on their website dedicated to updates and information entitled "CMU updates on coronavirus."

"CMU has an emergency preparedness team consisting of leaders from across our campus who are meeting regularly to review information from outside experts to assess how the virus may affect our campus," the page reads.

This is a developing story. Check back with CM Life for updates.