Mount Pleasant performance venues to slowly reopen

corona-march-26-4

A bicyclist rides past the Broadway Theater April 1 on Broadway Street in downtown Mount Pleasant.

For several months, Michigan has been without most live entertainment. Gathering hundreds to see a movie, concert or play seems like a distant memory.

Last month, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer issued an executive order allowing theaters and other performance venues to reopen Oct. 9 with certain stipulations. The venues will be limited to 20 people per 1,000 square feet, or 20% of fixed seating capacity, with a maximum of 500 people in the largest venues.

While this is good news for Mount Pleasant venues, most are not hasty to reopen right away. 

Broadway Theatre

Throughout the pandemic, the Broadway has been able to stay afloat despite being a non-profit business that survives off of donations.

“We’re lucky to have insurance that covered some of the loss of revenue due to the pandemic,” Amy Perschbacher, head chair Friends of the Broadway said. “We are receiving donations from our loyal patrons and sponsors and we’re taking can donations also.”

The Friends of the Broadway met Wed. Oct. 7 to discuss re-opening and what it’s going to take to safely run the theatre.

“Re-opening the theatre is not something we see this year,” Perschbacher said. “We are hopeful for Spring 2021 and have begun updating what we can to open safer.”

Broadway is a community theatre that thrives off of the support from Mount Pleasant residents. They host events for CMU Greek organizations, local churches, schools, the city as well as their performance plays.

“We miss our audience, our actors, our directors, and our community,” Perschbacher said. “We cannot express how grateful we are for the support we have received from everyone.”

To stay updated on the future productions of Broadway Theatre productions, visit their website.

Celebration Cinema

Despite Celebration Cinemas opening in Grand Rapids, Grandville, Lansing, Portage and Muskegon opening on Oct. 9, the Mount Pleasant location won’t be re-opening for the next few weeks. 

“We haven’t booked any movies for the theater yet, but expect to show titles like 'Tenet' and 'Unhinged.'” Mount Pleasant Celebration Cinema general manager Chris Couling said.

Celebration Cinemas plan to follow CinemaSafe guidelines, created by the National Association of Theatre Owners. 

Check the Celebration Cinema website for updates on showtimes.

CMU Theatre Productions

Central Michigan University Provost Mary Schutten announced university officials are working to reopen performance venues on campus at the Sept. 29 academic senate meeting. Schutten said the university is conferring with the appropriate state officials to ensure the university is in compliance.

CMU Theatre Productions have been showcasing productions that can be live-streamed by purchasing tickets online. Their current running production is, “Twighlight: Los Angeles, 1992” running through Oct. 8-11.

Four performances are tentatively planned for in-person audiences according to its website:

• “CMU Dance Student Choreography Showcase:” Dec. 3
  • “Barbecue:” Feb. 10-14 
  • “Hamlet:” March 24-28
  • “UTDC Spring Dance Concert:” April 22-25

University Events

Director of University Events Mishealia Neil said they are working with and following the leadership with CMU's emergency management committee. 

"Everything (the emergency management committee) roll out is a mix of CDC guidelines, executive orders and the local expectations of the health department," Neil said.

To stay updated on university events refer to the events calandar website.