Chippewas come from behind to beat EMU

imr-0362

YPSILANTI — Central Michigan needed to kick its loss to Western Michigan with a win over Eastern Michigan. 

With the help of Marshall Meeder, Lew Nichols, Troy Hairston and Devonni Reed, the Chippewas did just that. 

Meeder, a redshirt freshman from Eaton Rapids,  connected on three field goals — from 51 (career-high), 29 and 21 yards — to help bolster the Chippewas to a come-from-behind, 31-23, victory over Mid-American Conference foe EMU on Friday at Rynearson Stadium.

CMU (3-1) picked up a lot of help from its offense in the fourth quarter with Nichols, who scored two touchdowns of 9 and 1 yard to help lead his team to the win.

A large part of the Chippewa come back was three turnovers in four minutes with a fumble recovery from Hairston, and interceptions from Reed and freshman cornerback Donte Kent. 

"We figured out a way to win, wins are hard to come by," said coach Jim McElwain. " ... I'm very disappointed in the way we played. I'm very disappointed that this game was even this close. Yet, we play to win and we figured out a way to win."

McElwain added that he was embarrassed by the way the Chippewas played in the first half. 

"It's embarrassing against this program we played," McElwain said. "For us, it's a great learning lesson that no matter who you're playing, you have to come out ready to go." 

However, starting quarterback — redshirt freshman Daniel Richardson — was carted off following an apparent leg injury and did not return. 

McElwain said he did not have an update as to Richardson's status following the game. He had not been able to talk with the team doctors or Richardson himself. McElwain said he will provide an update on Monday. 

How it happened

EMU took the opening drive of the game and marched down the field. Junior quarterback Preston Hutchinson hit a 43-yard completion to junior wide receiver Quian Williams on a third-and-long to set up a 3-yard touchdown run for the quarterback. 

On the ensuing drive, the Chippewas utilized tempo to move the ball down the field in a hurry, but the drive stalled, leading to Meeder's 51-yard field goal. Friday's game marked the fourth straight time CMU scored on its opening drive. 

After an EMU fumble in Chippewa territory, Meeder connected his second field goal of the game -- this one from 29 yards out -- to cut the Eagle lead to 7-6. 

EMU extended its lead to 10-6 on a Chad Ryland field goal from 36 yards away on the first play of the second quarter.

Mistakes hurt CMU in the first half. Just before Meeder's second field goal, a TD run from junior running back Kobe Lewis was negated by a holding call. On the Chippewas' next offensive series, redshirt freshman running back Lew Nichols lost a fumble as he was falling into the end zone.

"I was just trying to do too much," Nichols said. "I was just trying to stick it out forward at the last minute and (EMU player) hit it." 

While the turnover did not prove costly immediately, the Chippewas found themselves down 17-6 after a 20-yard scramble from Hutchinson as he evaded several CMU tacklers. 

McElwain said he was proud of the way his team fought after allowing 280 yards and 17 points. 

"I told them to look in the mirror and told them to choose what we were going to do in the second half," McElwain said. "We talked about not worrying about anything but just go win a play. Whatever play it is, just go win it." 

After Richardson's injury, junior transfer quarterback Ty Brock was stopped on a fourth-and-goal from the EMU 1-yard line. The Eagles turned the turnover on downs into a field goal, set up by a 79-yard completion from Hutchinson to Bryson Cannon. 

Then, after being held scoreless for 33:10, Nichols found the end zone and gave the Chippewas a chance with 14:02 to play. A two-point conversion completion to junior wide receiver Drayton Law cut the EMU lead to 20-14. 

"We weren't down that much, just two possessions," Nichols said. "The coaches said just don't look at the scoreboard, win our positional battles and take it one play at a time, we'll be fine." 

On the ensuing drive, the Eagles marched down the field but were forced to convert yet another field goal from Ryland — a 29-yarder — to go up 23-14 midway through the fourth quarter. 

Needing to make something happen, Nichols led a 12-play, 75-yard drive aided by a fourth-and-short conversion before punching in a 1-yard TD run and cutting CMU's deficit to just two at 23-21 with 4:34 to play. 

Hairston said he was proud of the way he and his teammates were able to stick with the game and pull out the victory.

He added the locker room celebration was full of energy. 

"This game was important to us," Hairston said. " ... That's part of our culture, we fight. We're not going to back down and if you do beat us, you're not going to get it easy." 

The Chippewa defense stepped in to create the three turnovers, leading to the come-from-behind win. 

Brock finished 9-of-15 passing for 52 yards in relief of Richardson. He also ran 5 times for 18 yards. 

Nichols led the team with 195 yards on 29 carries and two TDs. 

Up next

The Chippewas (3-1) host their final home game of the season against Ball State on Dec. 5 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. Game time has yet to be announced.