CMU football: Chippewas show promise in season opener

A strange and shortened 2020 Mid-American Conference football season started with an explosive slate of six games Wednesday night.

The Chippewas' 30-27 victory over Ohio was not only the closest game of the half-dozen mid-week bouts but sets the stage for what can be expected from the reigning MAC West Division champions. 

Wednesday’s clash comes in the darkest of times not only because of the global pandemic and the uncertainty of the presidential election, but because the stadium lights at Kelly/Shorts Stadium randomly cut out with 1:17 remaining in the first half.

Wednesday also marked CMU’s second straight conference-opening victory after dropping their previous three MAC openers. Head Coach Jim McElwain also improved his home record to 7-0 since taking the helm in 2019.

CHIPPEWAS WIN WAR IN TRENCHES

A two-dimensional offense is key to any football team’s success, and that starts with the offensive line and defensive fronts. 

Wednesday’s starting line combined for two career starts at their respective positions. The Chippewas netted 184 yards rushing. Daniel Richardson was not sacked in his first career start.

There is a difference between competition and confidence. Despite the lack of in-game competitive snaps, CMU’s o-line looked like a well-oiled machine for much of the contest. To see this kind of effort week one shows the potential this group has in 2020. 

The young men on CMU’s defensive front also had a game to be proud of. The Chippewas accumulated five sacks in Wednesday’s victory. Three sacks in the second half, coupled with two forced fumbles to lead the charge of a defensive shutout in the game’s final 30 minutes.

Let me say that again, a second half defensive shutout. Ohio is a competitive and well-coached team that has had a chance to win every MAC contest since 2016, and their offense could not find the end zone when it needed to the most. 

Senior defensive end Troy Hairston II gets the game ball from me this week with seven tackles, three sacks and a forced fumble. 

RICHARDSON LOOKS READY 

Wednesday marked the arrival of Richardson as CMU’s starting quarterback. The Miami native finished 23-of-41 with 243 yards passing and one touchdown. 

The former Carol City Community College quarterback showed little fear in throwing the down field, evident by his 50-yard touchdown pass to junior wide receiver Kalil Pimpleton to give the Chippewas a 14-7 advantage in the first quarter. 

While some throws seemed off-target we need to remember that this was Richardson’s first career collegiate start in week one of the 2020 season. Expecting absolute perfection out of a player who can vote in his first ever presidential election this year is unrealistic. 

Despite the inconsistencies, the future seems bright if he continues to make positive strides in 2020 and beyond, largely because of the trust between Richardson and coach Jim McElwain. There are no offensive restrictions for the young offensive signal caller.

McElwain wants to see growth in his quarterback entering next week’s tilt at Northern Illinois

“Is (Richardson) going to enjoy getting his belly rubbed and everyone saying he was good or is he going to take the next step and really lead us to bigger or better things?” McElwain said. 

DUKE IT OUT IN DEKALB

The chapter has closed on a successful week one. Week two is ready to bring its own challenges.

With CMU’s final five contests coming against MAC West Division teams, it is fair to assume that the blood pressure of the Chippewa faithful will look like a roller coaster for the rest of the season. Northern Illinois will present a challenge to the growth of the 2020 Chippewas.

The Chippewas have won five of the last six games in the series. CMU defeated the Huskies 48-10 last season in Mount Pleasant. NIU picked up a 24-16 win at home in 2018. 

The Chippewas accumulated 615 yards of offense in last season's matchup while out-rushing NIU 327-22. Fresh off the heels of a 19-point home loss to Buffalo, the Huskies appear to be in must-win mode to keep their hopes of a second conference title in three seasons alive while looking to avenge last season loss.

Buckle up, the 2020 season is about to get interesting.