Kevin Barbay named CMU football's offensive coordinator

kevin-barbay-mug

Kevin Barbay (courtesy CMU Athletics)

Central Michigan has officially appointed Kevin Barbay as its new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, a team source confirmed Wednesday. 

Barbay also updated his Twitter bio to say "Offensive coordinator/QBs- Central Michigan Football." 

Barbay replaces Charlie Frye, who left to be the Miami Dolphins' quarterbacks coach. Prior to taking his new role, Barbay was the Chippewas' wide receivers coach. CMU hired Chad Bumphis to be the new wide receivers coach in February

As the new offensive coordinator, Barbay inherits a unit that averaged 31 points a game in 2020. Having worked with the receivers for two seasons, Barbay has familiarity with two of the offense's best weapons in Kalil Pimpleton and JaCorey Sullivan, who is exercising his extra year of eligibility. 

Barbay has offensive coordinator experience, having led Stephen F. Austin's unit in 2018 while also coaching their quarterbacks. He worked with CMU head coach Jim McElwain at Florida, where Barbay was the director of player development while McElwain was the head coach from 2015-17. The two also worked together for a season at Colorado State in the same roles. 

Prior to Colorado State, Barbay coached wide receivers and special teams at Lamar for two seasons. He got his start in coaching in 2003, when he was the wide receivers coach at Monsignor Kelly high school in Beaumont, Texas. Barbay has also made stops at Baylor, Texas A&M Commerce, North Texas and Warren High School in Warren, Texas. 

The Chippewas currently have one coaching vacancy on staff after secondary coach David Rowe left the program to coach cornerbacks at Houston.