Walk-on receiver showing star potential, youth producing in wide receiver room

screen-shot-2021-08-11-at-1-04-49-pm
Central Michigan football wide receivers coach Alvin Slaughter speaks with members of the media virtually August 11.

Finn Hogan is not a household name to CMU fans

At Glen Lake High School, however, Hogan was an all-state wideout and earned the same honors in four separate events in track and field. He holds the school record for all four events, the 100m, 200m, 400m and high jump while winning the MHSAA Division 4 state title in the 400m and was second in the high jump, fourth in the 200m and sixth in the 100m. 

On the football field, Hogan caught seven touchdowns in his senior campaign. He was part of a 2019 team that lost in the state championship and was named the 2021 Male Athlete of the Year by the Traverse City Record-Eagle

He turned down Division II interest to walk-on for the Chippewas, knowing he'd likely redshirt in his first season. 

New CMU wide receivers coach Alvin Slaughter has been nothing short of impressed by Hogan early on in camp. 

"He's been everything above the line," Slaughter said. "From just his talent level, his work ethic, everything he's been able to bring to the table has been a plus for us. It's a great addition for us to get this kid." 

Hogan is walking into a stacked wide receiver room featuring Kalil Pimpleton, JaCorey Sullivan and Dallas Dixon. Behind them, there's newcomers such as Remi Simmons and LeVar Gumms along with a crop of incoming freshmen from the 2020 and 2021 classes. 

Despite the depth, Hogan is doing a number of things right in the eyes of Slaughter. His height, 6-foot-4, allows him to have a catch radius wider than most and his speed is unique for a player of his size. 

"For a guy that's walking on, he uses his body well," Slaughter said. "He's got great, strong hands. He gets in and out his breaks very well. He controls the catch all the way through the ground."

Slaughter said there are areas of improvement for Hogan, such as improving pad level and fine-tuning the playbook.

"That comes with coaching," Slaughter said. "And that comes with maturing through the position. And I think (Hogan) will be able to do that. He'll be able to make that jump to being a great receiver. But he's been a really, really, really good addition to what we're doing." 

Davis, Ward also standing out

Another member of the 2021 class standing out to Slaughter is Tyson Davis, a 5-foot-9 speedster from Goodrich High School in Flint. Davis is another dual sport standout, ranking third all-time in his school's history in the 100m. 

He committed to the Chippewas in May of 2020 and could see some action on special teams and potentially offense later in the season. 

"(Davis)'s been doing some great things," Slaughter said. "Shifty guy, can get in and out of routes. Got a great change of direction, good ball skills and a guy that keeps trending in the right direction."

Alec Ward, a greyshirted freshman from Bloomfield Hills, is another player producing early in camp. Ward was also an all-stater in track and field. At 5-foot-10, Ward isn't the biggest receiver but still has the skill to play on the outside while holding the speed to burn defenders in the slot and possesses dynamic versatility. 

"(Ward) understands the offense, he can move around," Slaughter said. "He knows different positions, different spots. So, that was a good challenge for him. To get on the field, to not just be pigeon holed on one spot, but 'I wanna know the concept and I wanna be flexible and able to play inside or outside.' He has good ball skills, good change of direction." 

Gumms, Simmons competing for time

Slaughter was hired by the Chippewas prior to spring ball, filling the void left when Kevin Barbay was promoted to offensive coordinator. He came from Northwestern State, which happens to also be the former home of Gumms, who transferred to CMU in late May. 

Gumms, a junior, played his first two seasons with Slaughter as his position coach at NSU. They arrived in Mount Pleasant just months apart. 

"LeVar was a good addition," Slaughter said. "And obviously, for him, just getting around me again, a coach that he’s familiar with. He knows how I coach, my expectations of him and of the room. So, for him, it was probably just fitting in. And having the other guys kind of embrace him."

Simmons also joined the room prior to fall camp as a grad transfer from Stephen F. Austin. He projects as a potential slot receiver with big-play ability. 

"(Simmons) has that short area quickness, the burst," Slaughter said. "He’s learned how to finish these plays and then is just bringing more competitiveness to the room. Because the guys in front of him look at him and say, ‘Okay, okay I see him.’ You’re competing now, you’re pushing the guy that’s in front of you to work on his game and get better."

In the case of all the newcomers, Slaughter isn't guaranteeing any playing time. However, he made it clear that anyone can compete for time with their actions in practice. 

"I always say, other players and other guys in this room will embrace your hard work, the things that you bring to the table," Slaughter said. "Don’t talk about it, just go about your action. Go about your work."