CMU DB Brian Edwards enters transfer portal

Central Michigan safety Brian Edwards goes through team drills Sept. 3 at the East Grass Practice Field.

Central Michigan junior defensive back Brian Edwards has entered the transfer portal. 

Edwards, a Florida transfer, entered the portal Friday. The Miramar, Florida native spent two seasons as a Chippewa, transferring in upon the arrival of coach Jim McElwain in 2019. Edwards sat out his first season on campus due to NCAA transfer requirements. 

In 2020, Edwards played in all six of the Chippewas' games at cornerback, recording two tackles and a pass defensed. In his first two collegiate seasons with the Gators he played in 18 total games and made seven tackles. 

According to Pro Football Focus, a scouting metric website, Edwards started each of the first three games in 2020 before seeing his snap counts deteriorate as the season progressed. Edwards played just 11 snaps in the Chippewas' week five loss to Ball State

He played just seven snaps in CMU's season finale loss to Toledo. The shortage in his playing time was due in part to the emergence of freshmen Donte Kent and Daedae Hill.

With Kent and Hill returning, along with last year's starters juniors Richard Bowens III and Dishon McNary, Edwards was battling for playing time. With his transfer, the quintet of returners along with freshmen Elijah Rikard and Caleb Spann will battle for reps. 

Edwards will have two seasons of eligibility remaining.