Preview: Chippewas square off with Robert Morris in home opener

lew-nichols-iii2
Central Michigan running back Lew Nichols III (7) runs into the end zone during the Chippewas' Sept. 4 game at Missouri. The Chippewas lost to the Tigers, 34-24, Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

For the first time since Nov. 12, 2019, Kelly/Shorts Stadium will be at full capacity when the Central Michigan Chippewas football team takes the field. 

The Chippewas (0-1) will take the field at 3 p.m. Saturday for their home opener against the Robert Morris Colonials. It's the season opener for the Colonials, who were forced to cancel their season opener against Dayton due to positive COVID-19 tests within the program. 

Saturday will mark Jim McElwain's return to coaching after missing the season opener against Missouri due to an emergency appendectomy. Tim Skipper served as the interim head coach in McElwain's absence. Though CMU lost the opener, 34-24, there were plenty of positives to come out of the performance. 

Among those positives was redshirt freshman running back Lew Nichols III, who ran for 139 yards and a touchdown on 19 carries in his first career start. In his first game as the go-to back, the Detroit native showed he's a capable number one running back. 

The season opener was also the first career start for sophomore quarterback Jacob Sirmon, who transferred to the program from Washington. The former four-star recruit was 23-for-45 passing for 295 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions. He will make his second start in the home opener. 

"I thought he had good command throughout the game," McElwain said. "I was pleased with his performance." 

Defensively, the Chippewas were led by junior linebacker Troy Brown and junior safety Devonni Reed, who had eight tackles apiece. Junior defensive lineman Thomas Incoom, a Valdosta State transfer, had three tackles for loss in his Chippewa debut. 

Meet the opponent

An FCS school, Robert Morris was forced to play an abbreviated season in the spring of 2021. The team played just three games, losing all three. The Colonials are coached by Bernard Clark Jr., who is in his fourth season at the helm.

Offensively, the Colonials are led by graduate senior quarterback George Martin. The Pennsylvania native is entering his third season as the full-time starter and has thrown for over 2,000 yards in his career. 

In the spring, the Colonials were outscored 98-30 in losses to James Madison, Kennesaw State and Charleston Southern. Two of those opponents, James Madison and Kennesaw State, were ranked in the top-10 nationally at the FCS level. 

Outside of Martin, running back Alijah Jackson is a solid option. Jackson ran for 971 yards in 2019, the Colonials' last full season. In the 2021 spring season, the graduate senior ran for 174 yards and a score on 59 carries. 

Defensively, the Colonials are led by graduate senior safety Jacob White. The Florida International transfer has amassed 84 total tackles in two seasons with the program and had an interception in his only game played in the spring. 

Gabe Luvara, RMU's offensive coordinator, has ties to McElwain. The two were together for a season at Louisville, where McElwain was the special teams coach and Luvara a graduate assistant. 

"It's great to see Gabe doing great things," McElwain said. 

Big question: Can Chippewas win in trenches?

Against Missouri, the Chippewas looked really good in the trenches on both sides in the first half. However, in the second, the offensive line struggled with different blitzes and the defensive line had a tough time stopping the run. 

This Colonial team is experienced at all levels, shown by their plethora of graduate seniors. It's likely CMU will see some unique looks on both sides. If the Chippewas can hold up and be sound on the interior, it will free up the skill players to make plays. 

Key to victory: Run away early

At times in the season opener, such as the first drive, the Chippewas looked every bit as explosive as the 2019 team that won the Mid-American Conference West Division. At others, they were stagnant. 

Against a team like Robert Morris, CMU must put it away early. Using skill players such as Kalil Pimpleton, Nichols and JaCorey Sullivan is paramount. If the Chippewas are unable to do this, and in turn allow the Colonials to hang around, pressure will rise. 

MORE COVERAGE: Freshmen receivers to miss the season

Robert Morris (0-0) at Central Michigan (0-1)

All-time series: First meeting

Time: 3:00 p.m. ET

Date: Saturday, Sept. 11, 2021

Stadium: Kelly/Shorts Stadium

Location: Mount Pleasant, Michigan

TV: ESPN3 (Dań Gutowsky, Randy Buffington)

Radio: 98.5 WUPS (Adam Jaksa, Brock Gutierrez)