Nichols earns MAC West Offensive Player of the Week

1111-football-action-7
Central Michigan running back, Lew Nichols III, runs with the ball during a game against Kent State on Wed. Nov. 10 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium in Mount Pleasant, Mich.

After accumulating 215 rushing yards on 43 carries in a 54-30 win over Kent State, Central Michigan running back Lew Nichols III was named Mid-American Conference West Division Offensive Player of the Week on Monday.

The redshirt freshman became the first Chippewa to run for over 200 yards since Thomas Rawls ran for 270 against Northern Illinois in 2014. 

"We've got to run the ball to be effective. Offensively, we're effective when Lew gets going," said head coach Jim McElwain. "He not only has done a great job running the ball, but he's caught the ball out of the backfield. He's become an every down back because he's become a good pass protector as well." 

Nichols leads the conference in rushing with 1,297 yards. Only Michigan State's Kenneth Walker and Syracuse's Sean Tucker have gained more rushing yards this season. 

He's currently 10th all-time in CMU history for rushing yards in a season and is only five yards away from Eric Flowers 1,302 yards in 1998 for ninth all-time. 

Nichols and the Chippewas play at 7 p.m. Wednesday against Ball State on ESPNU.