Preview: Chippewas open season at Oklahoma State

football-10-23-3
Quarterback Daniel Richardson throws the ball on Sat. Oct. 23, Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

The time is finally here. Football is back. 

After narrowly missing out on a trip to the Mid-American Conference Championship game in Detroit last year, the Central Michigan football team once again opens its non-conference schedule against a big opponent. 

The Chippewas will travel to play nationally-ranked Oklahoma State of the Big-12 at 7 p.m. Thursday in Boone Pickens Stadium. The Cowboys are coached by Mike Gundy, who's in year 17 with the program. 

Due to surgery for appendicitis, head coach Jim McElwain wasn't at the helm for CMU to start 2021. He is back as the Chippewas look for a repeat of their 2016 upset of Oklahoma State. However, McElwain isn't seeing much to exploit in the tape.

"To be honest, it's kind of miserable watching because they're a complete football team," McElwain said. "I think more than anything, they're not like a one-hit wonder here and there. You know, the consistency. And even with the guys that they've lost, I mean, you go back and you can watch some of the guys, whether it be on special teams, whether it be in blowouts, or whatever it is... They just got really good players from top to bottom.

"Obviously, their quarterback's unbelievable. He makes great decisions. He makes the thing go.  You wish in an opener, you were playing a team that maybe was trying to break a guy in well, this guy's looking to break us in."

Oklahoma State is the heavy favorite after a 12-2 season in 2022, but the Chippewas are coming off an improved season where they upset Washington State in the Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl and finished with an 8-4 record.

Meet the opponent

Coming off a Playstation Fiesta Bowl victory over Notre Dame, Oklahoma State is expected to rule the Big-12 with Texas and Oklahoma now in the South Eastern Conference. While that may surprise some, Gundy has preached consistency throughout his 17-year tenure with the program. 

Senior quarterback Spencer Sanders, reigning Fiesta Bowl Offensive MVP, leads the Cowboy's offense. He finished 243-for-393, throwing for 2,839 yards, 20 touchdowns and 12 interceptions in 2021. 

Sophomore defensive end Collin Oliver led the Oklahoma State defense in sacks last season, finishing with 10.5. Linebacker Malcolm Rodriguez was drafted in the sixth round of the 2022 NFL Draft, leaving a glaring hole at the position. JUCO transfer Xavier Benson is expected to start in his place. 

The Cowboys have depth throughout the wide receiver room as it looks to replace Sanders' top-target Tay Martin. Brennan Presley has made his mark in the return game and will be expected to lead the group after finishing with 50 catches.

Big question: How will the rebuilt Chippewa secondary fair? 

With many fans questioning how the Chippewas will replace Gage Kreski and Dishon McNary, McElwain likes what he has seen from sophomore Trey Jones.

"What he did towards the end of last season, we feel that he has truly become a leader on this defense, and a force to be reckoned with back there," McElwain said. "I'm really happy with his growth and he's ready to take that role."

JUCO transfer Jayden Davis is expected to start alongside Jones. Heading into the season, McElwain raved about Davis' drive.

"Jayden, he'll be a starter for us," McElwain said. "And, I think that experience he had and more so maybe the hunger, you know. I mean, sometimes you get guys that maybe, you know, came from some programs that they want to show they're ready to play and he's definitely done that."

At cornerback, freshman standout Donte Kent will start alongside senior Rolliann Sturkey.

Key to victory: Spreading the field

Everyone knows Lew Nichols finished the year as the nation's leading rusher, including Gundy's staff. More likely than not, the Cowboys will load the box looking to slow Nichols down.

With man-coverage on the outside, Daniel Richardson will have to get acquainted with new target Carlos Carriere quickly. Kalil Pimpleton and Jacorey Sullivan are gone and Dallas Dixon enters the year as Richardson's top target. Their experience dating back to the practice squad will help, but Carriere will need to have a big day for CMU to secure the win.

Central Michigan (0-0) at Oklahoma State (0-0)

All-time series: Third Meeting, series is tied 1-1

Time: 7:00 p.m. ET

Date: Thursday, Sept. 1, 2022

Stadium: Boone Pickens Stadium

Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma

Odds: Oklahoma State -22.5

Over/Under: 59.5

TV: FS1 (Jason Benetti, Brock Huard)

Radio: 98.5 WUPS (Adam Jaksa, Brock Guiterrez)